Raymarine RL70C Review
New for 2001 – The 7″ VGA Raymarine RL70C has the same great features as its larger sibling the RL80C just with a slightly smaller foot print. A very nice radar with chartplotting & sounder capabilities. Uses award winning HSB/HSB2 technology enabling 2 or more displays to communicate, sharing radar, chart & fishfinder data via a fast, single wire link.
• Raymarine RL70C Review •
The Raymarine RL70C introduced in 2001 sports a full VGA, 7″ daylight viewable, 640 x 480 color LCD display, uses the latest in anti-glare / backlighting technologies for stunning clarity and color in any light. The RL70C launched as a radar display with full color is very sharp, even in direct sunlight, perfect for radar, chart plotting or both.
It later became available as the RL70CRC with a built-in world map and using C-MAP’s NT+ micro cartridges for detailed charting equipped with the RayChart C-Card Reader.
It uses the flexibility of direct cable HSB (High Speed Bus) and later in the RL70C+ /RL70CRC+ versions use HSB2 technology to offer full multi-station capability. Connect any Pathfinder or newer analog radar dome or open array and you have full multi-station radar performance for up to 10 displays.
The RL70C Raychart is also compatible with Raymarine’s MARPA / radar collision avoidance system, allowing you to track up to 10 other vessels and display the target’s speed, range, bearing, course and closest point of approach so that you know exactly when and where a target will intercept your course.
NOTE: A suitable heading sensor – M92649 is required for MARPA functionality.
An HSB link with the L760 or L755 allows the RL70C to become a 7″ sonar repeater. An HSB2 system can be fitted with a DSM250, DSM30 or DSM300 Digital Sounder for dual frequency operation (200/50 kHz) & 1000 or 600 watt available output power depending choice of transducer and DSM.
Raymarine RL80C vs RL70C – Basically the same unit and has the functionality. The only difference is RL70C has 7′ screen and the RL80C has a 10.4″ screen. The next in the series are the C series C70/C80/C120 single station navigation system in 2004 then the E series E80/E120 networked navigation system in 2005.
- RL70C – Radar Display/hsb /*Sounder Capable
- R70CRC – Radar/Chartplotter/hsb/*Sounder Capable – Features different firmware and a Raychart two slot C-Card reader permitting the display to additionally be used a chartplotter.
- RL70C+ – RadarDisplay/HSB2/*Sounder Capable. Operates on a HSB2 network. Can receive and display position information via Sea talk from either a RS120 or RS125 GPS Receiver/antenna.
- RL70CRC+ – Radar/Chartplotter/HSB2/*Sounder Capable. The Plus designation indicates that the version of the display/includes additional memory to support use of C-Map NT+ cartography. Features an HSB2 port permitting it to be interfaced to other hsb2 Pathfinder Series Displays to support sharing of radar, fishfinder, chartplotter, waypoint & route data.
*Can add DSM250, DSM30, or DSM300 to the system to support operating as a fishfinder.
Waypoints / Routing / Tracks – RL70CRC+ / RL70CRC
Waypoints can be entered using Lat/Lon, range and bearing, present position or via the Chartplotter cursor and features 16-character waypoint naming. Stores up to 20 routes with 50 waypoints each and can hold 5 tracks with 750 track points each. Plenty of waypoints and routes but 5 tracks can get used up pretty quick.
TIP LINK #2: Raymarine Knowledge Base – answers to frequently asked questions. Just enter RL70C in the search box.
Raymarine RL70C / Compatible Modules
Radar Scanners ›
- 18″ Raymarine Pathfinder 2KW – M92650
- 18″ Raymarine 2KW – M-92650-s
- 18″ Raymarine 2kw RD218 – E52065
- 24″ Raymarine Pathfinder 4kW – M92652
- 24″ Raymarine 4KW – M92652-S
- 24″ Raymarine 4kw RD424 – E52067
- Open Array
- Raymarine 4kw – T52001-S
- Raymarine 10kw – T52012-S
- Raymarine 4kw – M92654
- Raymarine 4kw – M92654-S
- Raymarine 10kw – M92655
- Raymarine 10kw – M92666-S
Note: Only analog radar units will function with the RL80C/Pathfinder radars:
Depth Sounder Modules ›
- DSM250 / DSM30 / DSM300
Note: Adds Digital fishfinding capability to hsb2 configured RL70C+. When adding a DSM250/30/300 to hsb2 Pathfinder Series Displays, the DSM should be installed at the end of the hsb2 daisy chain. (See Image Above)
Weather Module ›
- Not Applicable
AIS Module ›
- Not Applicable
GPS Antenna ›
- Raystar 120 or 125
Raymarine RL70C Wrap Up…
The Raymarine RL70C series has a great display for radar, sonar/sounder connectivity and charting with the Raychart CRC addition. The ability to connect multiple units together to share data is a huge plus. The RL70C model versions and capability can be a little confusing but a great system.