Raymarine E120 Review
We like the big screen and intuitive software on the Raymarine E120 chartplotter
May 18, 2021 10:16 am EDT
E120 Classic – Videos
• Raymarine E120 Review •
The Raymarine E120 Classic – is the bigger brother to the E80 in the E Series Classic line introduced in 2005 and sports a 12.1″ screen and resolution of 800 x 600 pixels. A bright screen with little or no darkening when viewing the screen from the side which is a must on sunny days.
It’s a large powerful high-speed network chartplotter with a sharp screen that can include GPS, Sonar, Radar, Autopilot, Weather, AIS and even Video!
You can connect everything to one unit running on its own or have several connected together sharing data. A fast, flexible multifunction unit, loaded with features. An excellent choice when you are looking for a big screen with networkability.
The E120 Classic communicates with other devices using NMEA 0183 & NMEA 2000 on the Raymarine SeaTalk network.
The E Series Classic can use Platinum Plus, Platinum, or Navionics Gold chart cards. The slide reader on the front uses Compact Flash “CF” cards.
Raymarine E120 vs C120 – For the fish finder, chartplotter and radar functions, the two are the same. On the E120, the ultra brite TFT screen shows much brighter, is networkable and can share black box components and radar among multiple displays.
The E Series will also do video, supports HD or Super HD color radar and can use Navionics Platinum or Platinum Plus charts which the C Series cant.
Waypoints / Routing / Tracks – Waypoints can be saved at your (present location) with one push of the WPTS key or you can use a soft key function to save at the – cursor, ship position, lat/long and to also access the waypoint list.
Waypoint lists can be set up in separate groups for quicker access based on your own criteria.
The waypoint list includes the group name, latitude/longitude, bearing/distance, a 16-character name, and a 32-character comment for each saved waypoint.
This makes finding your favorite waypoints in a large list pretty easy to find and use. It stores of up to 1250 waypoints, 125 routes & 10 Tracks. Plenty of waypoints and routes but 10 tracks gets used up pretty fast.
Key E120 Classic features include:
Video Integration – The E-120 is equipped with four video inputs for connection to on-board cameras, DVD players or satellite television. Each display is also equipped with a video output port for connecting to remote monitors such as Raymarine’s M1500 15” display.
SeaTalk hs Networking – Super fast 100-Megabit networking enables the transfer of radar, chartplotter, fishfinder and navigation functions between the Raymarine E-Series displays. No complicated setup or confusing protocols are involved – simply connect E-Series displays together with SeaTalk hs network cables.
The optional Raymarine SeaTalk hs network high-speed switch enables the connection of up to eight devices, allowing captains to build a powerful marine navigation network.
Ultra-Bright and Powerful Displays – The E-120 feature prismatic light-enhancing display technology along with “high bright” backlighting which delivers crisp bright color in direct sunlight. A built-in graphics co-processor ensures maximum display performance and brilliant video.
Engine Monitoring – The Raymarine E-Series networks with electronic engine systems for a virtual engine instrument display. E-Series enables the captain to monitor critical engine data including tachometer, voltage, oil pressure, fuel level, fuel consumption and coolant temperature.
There is support for both single and dual engines, with up to five engine data display combinations to choose from.
Chartplotter | Mapping – Raymarine’s E-Series displays provide detailed vector chartplotting with support for Navionics Gold Charts on CompactFlash cards.
The fast SeaTalk hs network instantly transfers data between E-Series displays while the built-in graphics coprocessor enables lightning fast chart zooming and panning. Raymarine’s new Raystar125 12 channel WAAS GPS receiver achieves extreme GPS accuracy.
Note: In the summer of 2005, Navionics’ introduced the new Platinum Multi-Dimensional cartography available for the Raymarine E-Series.
Taking chartplotting to a whole new dimension, Raymarine E-Series displays delivers 3-D chartplotting, aerial photo chart overlays and access to the vastly expanded Navionics Platinum vector chart database.
Digital Fishfinder – To optimize fishing capabilities, Raymarine’s award-winning high definition digital fishfinder technology can be integrated into any Raymarine E-Series display using the SeaTalk hs and the DSM300 digital sounder module.
Capable of 600 or 1000 watt output power, the DSM300’s advanced digitally adaptive receiver technology automatically cuts through clutter and clearly targets fish and bottom structure with amazing clarity and detail.
Radar – Raymarine E-Series displays are fully radar-capable with the addition of a Raymarine high-performance radome or open-array radar scanner.
Available from 2kW to 10kW configurations, Raymarine radar antennas employ Raymarine’s advanced low-noise radar receiver technology, delivering unmatched performance and efficient target echo reception.
Raymarine E-Series further enhances radar navigation with Radar/chart overlay and MARPA (Mini Automatic Radar Plotting Aid) target tracking as standard features.
• Detailed Features List •
E120 Classic Display
- 1250 waypoints entered via cursor, lat/lon, range and bearing from present position or at boat’s position. 16 character name can be assigned. Waypoint symbols and groups Additional storage available on CompactFlash cards.
- Waypoints – Transfer the waypoints database via NMEA and CompactFlash cards. Software is also available to convert waypoints to Excel file.
- Man Overboard (MOB Mode) – Mark placed with course line; readout shows range, bearing, lat/lon of MOB and time elapsed since MOB.
- Screen functions – Full, half and quarter screens available dependant on function. Also 3 window page with 2 x 1/4 page windows and 1 x 1/2 page window.
- Chart scaling – 1/32nm (if cartographic detail is available to 4000nm).
- Presentation Modes – Head up, Course up or North up (selectable True or Mag-netic). Relative, Autorange or True Motion. Screen offset. Radar or 3D synchronization.
- Routes – A route plan may contain up to 50 waypoints. Up to125 routes can be stored in the units internal memory. Additional storage available on CompactFlash cards. SmartRoute to create a route from track history. 10 History tracks with up to 1000 points in each can be stored in the units internal memory. Track optimization reduces number of points used or user selectable time or distance interval. Additional storage available on CompactFlash cards
- Radar/Chart overlay – Radar image can be overlaid on all screen charts.
- Radar/Chart synchronization – To synchronize radar range and chart scale
- 3D/Chart synchronization – To synchronize 3D and 2D chart scales and orientation.
- Aerial overlay – Overlay of aerial photograph on the chart
- AIS overlay – Switch AIS symbols on/off. Display heading/speed vectors and ROT. View detailed AIS data, safety critical target data, ALR and SRM messages. Set up a safe zone.
- Navigation information – Own boats position in lat/lon, XTE, TTG and SOG/COG selectable. Bearing and distance to waypoint. Bearing and distance to cursor and ETA.
- Cartography – Navionics Charts on CompactFlash cards. Chart of the world built in.
- 3D Presentation Modes – Active motion mode, planning mode. Adjust rotation and pitch, port, starboard, forward and aft view, multiple views, Vessel offset.
- 3D Display – Declutter, Transducer cone, Depth scale, Waypoint name, Adjust exaggeration, 3D view locator.
Raymarine Digital Fishfinder – Compatibilty
- Optional Sounder Modules: DSM300 / DSM30 / DSM400
- Transducer – Transom-mount, in-hull or thru-hull options – 50/200HZ -600/1000 watt
- Receiver Type – Patented Raymarine HD Digital receiver technology
- Power output – Dependant on Digital Sounder Module
- Frequency Dependant on Digital Sounder Module
- Alarms Fish alarm, fish alarm depth, shallow and deep fish limit
- A-Scope Display Displays Sonar Returns in real time
- Bottom Coverage Display – Shows the diameter of the transducer beam where it meets the bottom.
- Bottom Lock – Displays echoes directly above the bottom.
- Range markers – Easily see how far the boat is from a target on the echo sounder screen
- Target Detection – Sonar fish echo with target depth readout
- Zoom – 2,3,4x and user programmable Zoom scales
Sounder Module Notes: Raymarine strongly recommends that DSM30s, DSM300s, and DSM300Gs which have been interfaced to SeaTalkhs MFDs (ex. E-Series Classic MFDs, E-Series Widescreen MFDs, C-Series Widescreen MFDs, and G-Series GPMs) be upgraded to v4.20 DSM30/300 software with v5.18 bootcode.
General – Data Display Capabilities
- Chartplotter, Fishfinder, Radar, External Video (x4), CDI(Course Deviation Indicator), and customizable Data Bar display
- Mounting – Either trunnion bracket or flush mount option
- Humidity limit up to 95% at 35°C non-condensing
- Display Windows – Chart, Radar, Fishfinder, CDI, Video, Data, Weather and Engine Monitor.
- Illumination Screen and keypad: 0 to 100% in 64 steps Day/Night Mode
- Languages – The selection available will vary according to your location.
- System Alarms – Alarm clock, Anchor, Arrival, Deep depth, MOB, Offtrack, Shallow depth, Temperature, Timer
Navigation Alarms – Arrival alarm, offtrack XTE alarm.
Instrument and Engine Data
- 5 data pages available. Pre-defined (Navigation, Waypoint, Route, Fishing or Sailing) or user-configured.
- Data available – Vessel position, active waypoint, TTG, VMG – Waypoint, depth, COG SOG, heading, speed, set/drift, trip, log, ground log, ground trip, rudder, local time and date, sea temperature, app wind, true wind, VMG wind, ground wind XTE,compass,locked heading.
- Engine Pages – 5 pages available. Pre-defined (engine, engine and fuel, fuel resources, engine and resources, twin engines or triple engine support) or user-configured.
- Engine Data available – Tachometer, boost pressure, alternator, oil pressure, coolant temperature, engine hours, fuel level (tanks 1 & 2), fuel rate, total fuel, load.
- Alerts – Incoming message (selectable categories)
- Message List Sorting
- Radome Or Open Array – Choose between 2-4kw Radome / 4-10kw Open Array.
- Compatability – The E 120 can use all Raymarine radar scanners made after 5/2003 including the newer digital scanners (excluding HD), however the open array scanners may require an additional power source.
- Range Scales – (Range Rings) 1/8 (1/16)nm to 72 (12) nm dependant on scanner Performance limited by scanner type and position.
- Range Ring Accuracy – Better than +/- 1.5% of the max. range scale in use, or 22m (72 ft.), whichever is the greatest.
- Bearing accuracy +/- 1°
- Variable Range Markers 2 x VRM’s, readout nm, sm, km
- Electronic Bearing Lines 2 x EBL’s, floating if required, resolution 1°
- Bearing scale 360° graduated at 10° intervals 2° small ticks 10° large ticks
- Minimum range 23m (25 yds)
- Range Discrimination 23m (25 yds)
- Presentation Modes – Head up, Course up or North up (selectable True or Mag-netic) Relative or True Motion.
- Scanner Control Interference rejection, standby/transmit modes, pulse selection, Tune, Rain, FTC and Sea controls, with selection of manual or automatic control of gain, sea clutter and tune (Auto GST)
- Compass Input – NMEA 0183 (required for fast heading data, suitable for MARPA), or SeaTalk
- Waypoint Display – Create waypoints and target waypoint displayed with User control of symbols and groupsMARPA -Manual acquisition of 10 targets, automatic tracking, dangerous target alarms, safe zone, target history, true or rela-tive vectors, CPA graphics and indication of target speed/ course, bearing/ range, CPA and TCPA.
- Guard Zone Alarm – 2 guard zones, selectable sensitivity level, audible alarm
- Automatic Tuning – Auto control of gain, sea clutter and tune.
- Wakes 10s, 30s, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min, OFF
- Target Expansion – Operator selectable with 2 levels available, OFF
- Timed TX Rotation periods: 10, 20 or 30 scans, Repetition periods: 3, 5, 10 or 15 minutes
- AIS overlay Switch – AIS symbols on/off. Display heading/speed vectors and ROT. View detailed AIS data, safety critical target data, ALR and SRM messages. Set up a safe zone.
Radar Compatibility Notes:
From Raymarine: – “E-Series Classic Chartplotters (E80, E120) using with the latest E-Series Classic MFD software v5.52 are compatible with:
- Analog scanners (RD218, RD424, etc.)
- Digital Scanners (RD418D, RD424D, etc.)
- HD Scanners (RD418HD, RD424HD, etc.)
- Super HD Radar Scanners.
When connected to a HD or Super HD Radar Scanner, the E-Series Classic will support color radar.”
The C/E-Series Classic MFDs are compatible with the following radomes featuring an analog video interface:
- M92650-S 2D 18″ 2kW Radome
- M92652-S 4D 24″ 4kW Radome
- E52079 RD218 18″ 2kW Radome
- E52080 RD424 24″ 4kW Radome
The C/E-Series Classic MFDs are compatible with the following radar pedestals featuring an analog video interface:
- M92654-S 4kW Radar Pedestal
- M92655-S 10kW Radar Pedestal
There were hardware differences between the -S versions of the M92654 and M92655 open array pedestals (i.e. M92654-S and M92655-S), permitting them to be used with the C/E-Series Classic MFDs.
Raymarine had offered the following analog radome cables designed for use with C/E-Series Classic MFDs (C70, C80, C120, E80, E120) and hsb/hsb2/SL Pathfinder Series Radar Displays (R80, RL80, RL70, RL70C, SL70, SL70C, SL72, etc.):
Radome Cables w/90 Degree Display Connectors:
- E55074 5m (2 & 4kW)
- E55065 15m (2 & 4kW)
- E55066 25m (2 & 4kW)
- E55067 10m (2kW Only)
- E55067 15m (2kW Only)
Radome Cables w/Straight Display Connector:
- M92668 15m (2 & 4kW)
- M92669 25m (2 & 4kW)
Radome Extension Cables w/90 Degree Display Connector:
- E55071 5m (2 & 4kW)
- E55072 10m (2 & 4kW)
Raymarine had offered the following split power analog open array cables for E-Series Classic:
- E05018 15m
- E05017 25m
Sirius SR6 Weather
- Type – SIRIUS Marine Weather
- Weather elements – Storm cast, waves, Canadian radar, lightning, wind, sea sur-face temperature, surface observations stations, city weather, NOWRad, storm tracks, surface pressure.
- Animated weather graphics – Weather forecast, weather radar history
- Weather reports – Tropical statements, marine warnings, marine zone fore-casts, marine watchbox.
- Target symbols – Sleeping, activated, selected, dangerous and lost.
- Target information – AIS vectors, safety critical data and full AIS data.
- Collision avoidance – Safe zones and safety messages.
- Alarms – Local alarm messages, lost targets
- AIS 250 “receive only”
February 17, 2005 – “The Raymarine E-Series displays represent the convergence of Raymarine’s best technologies,” said Terry Carlson, President of Raymarine.
“We have taken multifunction navigation to a whole new level with integrated video, high-speed networking and ultra bright color displays.Captains that demand the most from their electronics will see that the Raymarine E-Series is the optimal fit for their needs.”
Like Raymarine’s award winning C-Series, the E-Series displays can be configured in any combination or used individually as a chartplotter, digital fishfinder or radar just by adding the appropriate Raymarine sensors.
Additional E-Series displays can be networked together using Raymarine’s all-new SeaTalk hs high-speed network protocol. Designed for easy networking at up to 100-megabit transfer speeds, SeaTalk hs enables instant transfer of chartplotter, digital fishfinder and radar functionality between networked E-Series displays.
E Series – Compatible Modules
Radar Scanners • Dome | Array
E-Series Classic Chartplotters (E80, E120) using the latest E-Series Classic MFD software v5.52 are compatible with:
- Analog radar scanners
- RD218, RD424, 2D, 4d, 5S, 7S, 9S, & 11S
- Digital Radar Scanners
- RD418D, RD424D etc
- HD Radar Scanners
- RD418HD, RD424HD etc.)
- Super HD Radar Scanners.
- When connected to a HD or Super HD Radar Scanner, the E-Series Classic will support color radar.
Depth Sounder Modules
- DSM300 / DSM30 / DSM400
Note: Raymarine recommends that DSM30s, DSM300s & DSM300Gs which have been interfaced to SeaTalkhs MFDs, ex. E-Series Classic MFDs, be upgraded to v4.20 DSM30/300 software with v5.18 bootcode.
- Sirius SR6 / SR150
Weather Elements Include: Storm cast, waves, Canadian radar, lightning, wind, sea surface temperature, surface observations stations, city/weather, NOWRad, storm tracks and surface pressure.
Animated weather graphics – Weather forecast, weather radar history Weather reports – Tropical statements, marine warnings, marine zone fore-casts, marine watchbox.
- AIS 250 “receive only”
Target symbols Sleeping, activated, selected, dangerous and lost. Target information AIS vectors, safety critical data and full AIS data. Collision avoidance Safe zones and safety messages. Alarms Local alarm messages, lost targets.
- Raystar 125 | Raystar 130
Raymarine E120 Wrap Up…
Chart redraws are fast, taking less than a second to fully redraw the chart after a map range change. Minimum range can be set as low as 1/32 of a mile, about 190ft when set to nautical miles.
Up to 4 data sources can be displayed in an individual window simultaneously with a data strip. The E120 has an easily accessible ruler to measure the bearing and distance to any point of between a pair of user selected points.
Packed with power and performance features, the 12.1” E120 display can be used as a stand-alone navigation display, or integrated with other E-Series displays, E80 or E120s as part of a SeaTalk network.
The E-Series Classic has been around for almost a decade and continues to have a large following in commercial and recreational boating. All in all, a solid multifunction unit in a rugged aluminum case.
Quick Facts – Raymarine E120 Classic
- Screen Size – 12.1″
- Networkability – Yes
- Ease Of Use
- Base Chart – Yes
- Power Use – 30 watts