Garmin ECHOMAP UHD vs ECHOMAP UHD2Feature & Specs | Comparison
Garmin ECHOMAP UHD vs ECHOMAP UHD2Feature & Specs | Comparison
Garmin Echomap UHD or UHD2:
Which One is Right for You?
The Garmin Echomap UHD and Echomap UHD2 are part of Garmins’ midrange fishfinder/chartplotter combo series that offer a variety of awesome features for the active fisherman. But which one is the best?
The UHD2… If you want a better screen, faster GPS, the latest charts, and Wi-Fi sonar, and data sharing between 2 or more units.
The UHD … If you run only one unit or can easily run network cables, want to save some money, and still get a great unit.
What are the main differences between the Garmin ECHOMAP UHD vs ECHOMAP UHD2?
Here is an Infographic Table summarizing the differences between the two:
Key Differences & Upgrades:
Chartplotter | Processor Speed:
- The UHD2 got an Upgraded & Faster Processor
- The UHD2 9” models have a higher screen resolution.
- The height and depth dimensions within the 6”,7” and 9” units are similar but all 3 UHD2s are between ½” and 1” narrower than their UHD counterparts.
- The UHD2 models have a slightly faster 10Hz GPS with GLONASS, Galileo, and BeiDou
- UHD models have a 5Hz GPS.
► This means that the UHD2 models should have a slightly faster acquisition speed and better reception in areas with weak GPS signals.
Sharing Sonar over WiFi: This, I think is the biggest upgrade.
- Wireless Data Sharing – If you have another compatible ECHOMAP UHD2 chartplotter on your boat, you can wirelessly share information such as sonar, waypoints, and routes with them.
- Network Cable Data Sharing – If you have additional ECHOMAP UHD or ECHOMAP Ultra devices on your boat, the 7” and 9” models can share information — such as sonar, user data and charts.
NOTE: As of now ECHOMAP UHD or ECHOMAP Ultra can’t share data with the UHD2 models
- UHD2 models have Bluetooth, ANT, and Garmin Wi-Fi.
- UHD models only have Garmin Wi-Fi.
- Both are Active Captain capable
- UHD2 models come with preloaded the new Garmin Navionics+ (coastal): Select Models.
- UHD models come with preloaded BlueChart g3 charts. Select Models.
► Here’s a quick comparison showing the different Chart and Mapping features between BlueChart G3 and Garmin Navionics+.
- The UHD2 models can be updated with the latest software.
- UHD models cannot.
► This means that the UHD2 models will have access to new features and bug fixes along with mapping and navigation upgrades in the future.
- The UHD2 models also have newly redesigned quick-release brackets to make it simple to remove the unit from the boat at the end of the day.
- They both come in 6”,7” and 9” options.
- Sunlight-readable touchscreen display.
- Built-in GPS receiver.
- Preloaded Charts – depending on the model, but not the same charts.
- Sonar – Ultra High-Definition scanning sonar (ClearVü and SideVü) – The sonar output appears to be the same @ 500 watts across both the UHD and the UHD2.
► Note: The 6” UHD unit only offers ClearVü (down) no side SideVü option.
- Vivid scanning sonar color palettes
- Support for Panoptix all-seeing sonar, including Panoptix LiveScope sonar.
- Sonar Mapping and user data sharing capabilities with other ECHOMAP Plus, ECHOMAP UHD and ECHOMAP Ultra units.
► See the specifics of data sharing below.
- Built-in Garmin Wi-Fi.
- Compatible with Garmin Navionics+ and Navionics Vision+ charts.
- The rear connections are the same.
ECHOMAP UHD 94sv
ECHOMAP UHD2 94sv
► Notice how the mounting clip is a little different.
My Final Thoughts:
The Garmin Echomap UHD and UHD2 are both great fishfinder/chartplotter combos, but the UHD2 does have some pretty cool updated features.
The Garmin Navionics+ charts, higher screen resolution on the 9” version and the ability to share fishfinder data and other data via WiFi make it a great choice if you want to upgrade.
Not having to run network cables between additional UHD2 units during installation is a big plus.
The Echomap UHD is still a great unit, and it’s a good option if you’re on a budget or don’t need the latest features.
Ultimately, I think your best choice will depend on your individual needs and budget. But I do like the UHD2 Wi-Fi upgrade.
Also see – How to Choose the Best Garmin Fishfinder ►
NavGuy | Lead Writer
Charter Boat Captain, Avid Cruiser, Boat Builder & Marine Electronics Pro:
With over a decade of experience in the marine electronics industry and over 30 years of cruising the Bahamas on boats of all kinds, Rodney is well-positioned to help boaters of all levels sift through the many choices we have today in marine electronics.
Other - Raymarine Models
- RL70C • RL80C
- Classic - C70 • C80 • C120
- Classic - E80 • E120
- C Series Wide - C90W • C120W • C140W
- E Series Wide - E90W • E120W • E140W
- Dragonfly - 4DV • 4PRO
- Dragonfly - 5M • 5DVS • 5PRO
- Dragonfly - 6
- Dragonfly - 7PRO
- aSeries Touch - a65 • a67 • a68
- aSeries Touch - a75 • a77 • a78
- aSeries Touch - a95 • a97 • a98
- aSeries Touch - a125 • a127 • a128
- cSeries - c95 • c97 • c125 • c127
- eSeries HybridTouch - e7
- eSeries HybridTouch - e95 • e97
- eSeries HybridTouch - e125 • e127
- eSeries HybridTouch - e165
- eS HybridTouch - eS75 • eS78
- eS HybridTouch - eS97 • eS98
- eS HybridTouch - eS127 • eS128
- AXIOM - 7 • 9 • 12
- AXIOM+ - 7 • 9 • 12
- AXIOM Pro - 9 • 12 • 16
- AXIOM XL - 16 • 19 • 22 • 24
- ELEMENT S - 7S • 9S • 12S
- ELEMENT HV - 7HV • 9HV • 12HV
- gS Series - 95 • 125 • 165 • 195
Other – Garmin Models
- GPSMAP - 172C • 176C • 178C
- GPSMAP - 182C • 188C
- GPSMAP - 192C
- GPSMAP - 2006C • 2010C
- GPSMAP - 2206 • 2210
- GPSMAP - 3006C • 3010C
- GPSMAP - 3205 • 3206 • 3210
- GPSMAP - 478
- GPSMAP - 441s • 492 • 498
- GPSMAP - 4008 • 4010 • 4012
- GPSMAP - 4208 • 4210 • 4212
- GPSMAP - 531s • 540s • 541s • 546s
- GPSMAP - 527xs • 547xs
- GPSMAP - 5008 • 5012 • 5015
- GPSMAP - 5208 • 5212 • 5215
- GPSMAP - 6208 • 6212
- GPSMAP - 7212 • 7215
- GPSMAP - 740s
- GPSMAP - 721xs • 741xs
- GPSMAP - 742xs • 942xs • 1242xsv
- GPSMAP - 7607xsv • 7608xsv
- GPSMAP - 7610xsv • 7612xsv • 7616sxv
- GPSMAP - 840xs
- GPSMAP - 8208 • 8212 • 8215
- GPSMAP - 8610xsv • 8612xsv • 8616xsv
- GPSMAP - 1020xs • 1040xs
- GPSMAP KeyPad - 1042xsv • 1242xsv
- echoMAP - 53dv • 54dv
- echoMAP - 73dv • 74dv • 73sv • 74sv
- echoMAP - 92sv • 93sv • 94sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 94sv • 93sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 74sv • 73sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 94sv • 93sv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 74sv • 73sv • 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 64cv • 63cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 44cv • 43cv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 94sv • 93sv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 74sv • 73sv • 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 64cv • 63cv
- ECHOMAP Ultra - 126sv • 122sv
- ECHOMAP Ultra - 106sv • 102sv
- STRIKER - 4cv • 5cv • 5dv
- STRIKER - 7sv • 7cv • 7dv
- STRIKER Plus - 4 • 4cv • 5cv
- STRIKER Plus - 7cv • 7sv • 9sv
Other - Lowrance Models
- HDS-5 Gen2
- HDS-7 Gen2
- HDS-8 Gen2
- HDS-10 Gen2
- HDS-7 Gen2 Touch
- HDS-9 Gen2 Touch
- HDS-12 Gen2 Touch
- HDS-7 Gen3
- HDS-9 Gen3
- HDS-12 Gen3
- HDS Carbon 7
- HDS Carbon 9
- HDS Carbon 12
- HDS Carbon 16
- HDS-7 LIVE
- HDS-9 LIVE
- HDS-12 LIVE
- HDS-16 LIVE
- Elite-5 DSI
- Elite-7 HDI
- Elite-5 HDI
- Elite-4 HDI
- Elite-9 CHIRP
- Elite-7 CHIRP
- Elite-5 CHIRP
- Elite-9x CHIRP • Sounder Only
- Elite-7x CHIRP • Sounder Only
- Elite-5x CHIRP • Sounder Only
- Elite-4x CHIRP • Sounder Only
- Elite-5 Ti
- Elite-7 Ti
- Elite-9 Ti
- Elite-12 Ti
- Elite-7 Ti²
- Elite-9 Ti²
- Elite-12 Ti²
Other - Furuno Models
- FCV-582L | Fish Finder
- FCV-295 | Fish Finder
- FCV-585 | Fish Finder
- FCV-588 | Fish Finder
- FCV-688 | Fish Finder
- FCV-600L | Fish Finder
- FCV-620 | Fish Finder
- FCV-628 | Fish Finder
- FCV-1100L | Fish Finder
- FCV-1150 | Fish Finder
- NavNet VX1 - RDP139
- Navnet VX2 • RDP149 • RDP148
- NavNet 3D
- NavNet Tztouch - 9 • 14
- NavNet Tztouch2 - 12 • 15