Garmin Announces The Next Generation: ECHOMAP Ultra 2 Series
OLATHE, Kan., Oct. 24, 2023 – Garmin recently unveiled the ECHOMAP™ Ultra 2 series, the next version in the “Ultra Series” designed specifically for inland and nearshore anglers.
The chartplotter series boasts cutting-edge features, including a 10 or 12-inch key assist sunlight-readable touchscreen, Ultra High Definition scanning sonar, preloaded Garmin Navionics+ mapping, wireless networking capabilities, and much more.
As an experienced fisherman myself, I’ve long appreciated the utility and reliability of the older ECHOMAP Ultra series.
The introduction of the ECHOMAP™ Ultra 2 series by Garmin seems to build upon that legacy, promising even more enhanced features that make it an attractive choice for seasoned anglers.
The Vice President of Global Consumer Sales at Garmin, Dan Bartel, emphasizes the evolution of the Ultra 2 series, highlighting the additional wireless networking, multi-band GPS, and a revamped user interface, making it more versatile and user-friendly than its predecessor.
The additional power and functionality in the ECHOMAP Ultra 2 series will go a long way to meet the demands of today’s angler with exciting new features, including:
- Upgraded Wireless Networking: For sharing sonar, waypoints, and routes with another ECHOMAP Ultra 2 or ECHOMAP UHD2 chartplotter on board, reducing the need for extra cables.
- Improved Position Accuracy: Using Multi-band GPS technology with fast 10Hz updates, improved accuracy, particularly in challenging areas like under bridges or in tree-covered coves.
- Enhanced User Interface: With updated graphics, menus, and a new homepage for a more intuitive and user-friendly experience.
- High-Definition Sonar: Bundled with the GT56UHD all-in-one transducer, delivering high-quality CHIRP traditional sonar and Ultra High-Definition ClearVü and SideVü scanning images.
- Comprehensive Mapping Coverage: For both coastal and inland waters, featuring the new Garmin Navionics+ with a 1-year subscription for daily updates.
- Wireless Integration with Garmin Force® Trolling Motor: Allowing anglers to create routes, patterns, and control various settings from the chartplotter screen for enhanced navigation.
- Custom Mapping – To create personalized fishing maps with the built-in Quickdraw Contours mapping software and generate high-definition maps with 1-foot contours on any body of water.
- Screen Recording: Using the ActiveCaptain app to capture chartplotter screen content, including remarkable fish catches seen on LiveScope sonar, will make sharing on social media a breeze.
Be sure to watch the featured VIDEOS below:
- “See how the ECHOMAP Ultra 2 series can help you tell a new fish story”
- And, ECHOMAP Ultra 2, the full story.
The new series also offers unparalleled mapping coverage for both coastal and inland waters, making it a comprehensive tool for boaters and fishermen wanting more detailed insights into the areas they explore.
To round off, the ECHOMAP Ultra 2 series has a range of options and prices, starting from $1899.99 and up to $3099.99, offering flexibility based on your specific needs and budget.
My initial thoughts:
The evolution of Garmin’s ECHOMAP Ultra 2 series undoubtedly marks a solid leap in technology, catering to both seasoned professionals and weekend enthusiasts alike.
I like the combination of the new advanced features, especially the wireless sonar sharing and the new Navionics+ integration. The new user-friendly design does look smooth and more connected. We will see.
For now, here are the full specs and feature details per Garmin.
But, keep a close eye out for more updates on the Ultra 2 series as they roll out.
NavGuy | Lead Writer
Charter Boat Captain, Avid Cruiser, Boat Builder & Marine Electronics Pro:
With over a decade of experience in the marine electronics industry and over 30 years of cruising the Bahamas on boats of all kinds, Rodney is well-positioned to help boaters of all levels sift through the many choices we have today in marine electronics.