Garmin 741xs Software Update
The Garmin 741xs has 2 MicroSD slots. You can use optional memory cards in the chartplotter. Map cards allow you to view high-resolution satellite imagery and aerial reference photos of ports, harbors, marinas, and other points of interest. You can use blank memory cards to record sonar data and transfer data such as waypoints, routes, tracks to another compatible Garmin chartplotter or a computer. They are also used for software updates.
- Open the access flap or door on the front of the chartplotter.
- Insert the memory card.
- Press the card in until it clicks.
- Close the door.
Updating the Software – GARMIN 741XS
- A maximum size 32GB MicroSD card, formatted to FAT32, with 2GB of free space is needed for this update. You will also need a MicroSD to SD adapter for your PC. Most MicroSD cards come with the adapter.
- Please back up your user data before applying the update.
- IBM-compatible PC running Windows 2000 or later operating system and an available SD card reader.
Loading the New Software on a Memory Card
You must copy the software update to a memory card using a computer that is running Windows® software.
NOTE: You can contact Garmin customer support to order a preloaded software update card if you do not have a computer with Windows software.
- Insert a memory card into the card slot on the computer.
- Go to – Garmin.com/support/software/marine.html.
- Select Download next to the software bundle that corresponds with your device.
- Read and agree to the terms.
- Select Download.
- Select Run.
- Select the drive associated with the memory card, and select Next > Finish. The software will then transfer the files to your SD Card for the update process.
Updating the Device Software
NOTE: Before you can update the software, you must obtain a software-update memory card or load the latest software onto a memory card.
NOTE 2: I was also told by Garmin support that I needed to register the unit with Garmin before the update or it would not work. I didnt, thought i would try updating first and it worked just fine.
- Turn on the chartplotter.
- After the home screen appears, insert the memory card into the card slot. NOTE: In order for the software update instructions to appear, the device must be fully booted before the card is inserted.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Wait several minutes while the software update process completes.
- When prompted, leave the memory card in place and restart the chartplotter manually.
- Remove the memory card.
NOTE: If the memory card is removed before the device restarts fully, the software update is not complete.
Reference: Users Manual – Pg 2