Garmin 3010C Review
New in 2004, The GPSMAP 3010C launched Garmin into the world of Marine Networking.
Plug-and-play systems put GPS chartplotter navigation, weather, sonar/fishfinder, radar and video right at our fingertips.
BIG SCREEN | Lots of Features
Garmin 3010C Network Chartplotter
Introduced 6/2004… The GPSMAP 3010C is the chartplotter that launched Garmin into the world of Marine Networking with true Plug-N-Play systems that included GPS, weather, sonar, radar, and other important data.
If you want a big display with excellent expandability and built-in maps for U.S. coastal areas, including Alaska and Hawaii, this is your plotter.
It’s a standalone plotter or network plotter with other MFDs and modules to deliver SiriusXM weather, radar, sonar & AIS. The 3010C has 2 video inputs so you can watch the engine room or monitor activity on deck.
BIG Screen Display – The 10.4′ 640×480 LCD display shows bright colors and detail, even in direct sunlight. It has a great picture with a wide viewable angle and the VGA screen resolution is very sharp.
The high-speed processors and graphics controller make for extremely fast redraw response rates for charts and weather graphics.
Garmin 3010C vs 2210c – The 3010C can run & share sensor modules on a network. The 2210c is not networkable so unlike the 2010c they can run radar, digital depth, SiriusXM weather and AIS.
Networking – The Garmin Marine Network is a waterproof Ethernet-based system that allows Multi-Function Displays (MFD) to communicate with sensors and other MFDs over the network.
Communication is done using the 100-megabit ethernet-based Garmin Marine Network and is completely plug-and-play. The 3010C automatically detect modules once they’re connected to the network.
You can connect a GPS antenna and one remote sensor directly to the MFD or, with the addition of the GMS 10 Network Port Expander connect multiple MFDs and sensors to the same network. Each networked MFD can be configured independently.
If more than two MFDs are desired in the installation, a Garmin Marine Network Port Expander (GMS 10) is needed to expand the network.
If two or more GPSMAP 3010C units are installed and networked, only one GPS 17 antenna needs to be installed. You may add up to 5 total devices to a Network Switch. If more than 5 are needed, you may add more Network Port Expanders to expand the network.
Usability – The 3010C has 3 default display pages, Map, Compass & Highway. Each page can be customized with digital info to suit your own needs. Pressing the Page button moves from one main page to the next.
Each main page can be modified to include the display of other information in a split screen. As new hardware modules are added, like sounder, video and radar, new pages are automatically available.
Connections – The 3010C has 3 rear connections, power/NMEA, network and AV. These include 2/NMEA 0183 input ports, 2/NMEA 0183 output ports, 2/Video input ports, 1/Video output ports.
Marine A/V (Audio/Video) Cable – The 17-pin A/V cable allows input of NTSC (National Television System Committee) /PAL (Phase Alternate Line) composite video sources, VGA resolution PC monitor output, and future expansion for audio output.
Marine A/V inputs are only available on the MFD to which they are attached and will not transmit over the Garmin Marine Network.
Waypoints / Routing / Tracks – The 3010C stores 50 routes, 4000 alphanumeric waypoints, 15 saved tracks with 700 points per track and a 10,000 point track log.
Waypoints can be created 3 basic ways and comments, a user-defined icon and depth/water temperature is available for each waypoint. If you are using Garmin Sonar, the water temp/depth fields fill in automatically.
- Using – ENTER/MARK key – Mark present position. The ENTER/MARK key also provides options that allow you to select a map position or map item from the map display.
- Graphically – Define a new waypoint position from the map display using the ARROW/KEYPAD
- Text Entry- Enter new waypoint coordinates manually, like from your chart.
Cartography – The 3010C features built-in Marine Base Charts of the United States coastline, including Alaska and Hawaii and includes 2 expansion slots for using Garmin’s BlueChart and the new BlueChart® g2™ cartography.
These charts provide integrated maps for a much smoother presentation. BlueChart g2 has all the detail of traditional BlueChart, but with 3D perspective, and richer detail and content – data like tides / currents overlaid on the chart. Other chart features include shaded depth contours, port plans, wrecks, restricted areas, and more.
3010C / Compatible Modules
Radar Scanners ›
- Open Array
- GMR 404 Open Array
- GMR 406 Open Array
- GMR 406 xHD Open Array Radar & Pedestal
- GMR 606 xHD Open Array Radar & Pedestal
- GMR 20 Radome
- GMR 40 Radome
- GMR 18 Radome
- GMR 18 HD Radome
- GMR 24 HD Radome
Depth Sounder Modules ›
- GSD 20 – 500 watts at 50/200kHz
- GSD 21 – Depths to 1,500 ft. / Dual-frequency 50/200 kHz / 500 watts
- GSD 22 – Up to 5000 ft and 2KW depending on your transducer. Adjusts gain and transmit power automatically to optimize the returns for shallow water. Can connect to a dual-frequency transducer and works with everything from a standard 500 W transom-mount transducer to a heavy-duty 2 kW thru-hull or in-hull transducer to reach depths of up to 5,000 ft.
Weather Modules ›
- GDL 30 – Weather data receiver that receives SiriusXM WX Satellite Weather data, including animated NEXRAD weather radar and forecasts, current conditions, surface air pressure, visibility, precipitation, wind data, wave data, storm cell size, speed and direction and surface temperatures. The information show on right on the Map page of your chartplotter.
- GLD 30a – Same as GLD30… but also receives SiriusXM Satellite Radio. Allows you to connect your chartplotter to your on-board stereo to broadcast 120 channels of non-stop music, sports, news and talk.
AIS Modules ›
- AIS 300 – “Receive-only,” Not a two-way transceiver. Lets you identify what ships are in the neighborhood while you remain off the AIS grid. Think of a receive-only unit more like radar than a radar unit with radar reflector.
- AIS 600 – True Class B transceiver that offer both “send/receive” functionality. You can also turn the transmit function off and operate in Silent Mode.
GPS Antennas ›
- GPS 17 N / GPS 17 HVS / GPS 17x HVS – External receiver antenna.
- GPS 19x HVS – Newer alternative to the gps 17 but requires some additional wiring. Gps 19x HVS Connection Details
Garmin 3010C Wrap Up…
The Garmin 3010C & Garmin Marine Network offers a unique network upgrade system. The user simply prompts the MFD to read the current software version of all components within the network, and writes them onto a Garmin data card.
Then the user uploads this data via a PC to the Garmin website, where the newest software versions are downloaded to the data card. The entire system is automatically updated once the card is re-inserted into the MFD, a very nice feature.
The screen clarity, size and networkabilty in one package is very nice. With the available additional plug-n-play modules, putting a together a complete networked system looks to be quick and easy.
Quick Facts – Garmin 3010C
- Screen Size – 10.4″
- Networkability – Yes
- Ease Of Use
- Base Chart – Yes
- Plug-and-play installation
- Power Use – 25 watts
Other – Garmin Models
- GPSMAP - 172C • 176C • 178C
- GPSMAP - 182C • 188C
- GPSMAP - 192C
- GPSMAP - 2006C • 2010C
- GPSMAP - 2206 • 2210
- GPSMAP - 3006C • 3010C
- GPSMAP - 3205 • 3206 • 3210
- GPSMAP - 478
- GPSMAP - 441s • 492 • 498
- GPSMAP - 4008 • 4010 • 4012
- GPSMAP - 4208 • 4210 • 4212
- GPSMAP - 531s • 540s • 541s • 546s
- GPSMAP - 527xs • 547xs
- GPSMAP - 5008 • 5012 • 5015
- GPSMAP - 5208 • 5212 • 5215
- GPSMAP - 6208 • 6212
- GPSMAP - 7212 • 7215
- GPSMAP - 740s
- GPSMAP - 721xs • 741xs
- GPSMAP - 742xs • 942xs • 1242xsv
- GPSMAP - 7607xsv • 7608xsv
- GPSMAP - 7610xsv • 7612xsv • 7616sxv
- GPSMAP - 840xs
- GPSMAP - 8208 • 8212 • 8215
- GPSMAP - 8610xsv • 8612xsv • 8616xsv
- GPSMAP - 1020xs • 1040xs
- GPSMAP KeyPad - 1042xsv • 1242xsv
- echoMAP - 53dv • 54dv
- echoMAP - 73dv • 74dv • 73sv • 74sv
- echoMAP - 92sv • 93sv • 94sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 94sv • 93sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 74sv • 73sv
- echoMAP CHIRP - 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 94sv • 93sv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 74sv • 73sv • 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 64cv • 63cv
- ECHOMAP Plus - 44cv • 43cv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 94sv • 93sv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 74sv • 73sv • 74cv • 73cv
- ECHOMAP UHD - 64cv • 63cv
- ECHOMAP Ultra - 126sv • 122sv
- ECHOMAP Ultra - 106sv • 102sv
- STRIKER - 4cv • 5cv • 5dv
- STRIKER - 7sv • 7cv • 7dv
- STRIKER Plus - 4 • 4cv • 5cv
- STRIKER Plus - 7cv • 7sv • 9sv